Red Wine Hot Chocolate
- Preparation Time 15 minutes
- Cook Time
- Total Time 30 minutes
- 1 bottle Beringer Main & Vine Merlot
- 5 cups 2% milk
- 2 bars semi-sweet chocolate
- Whipped Cream
Optional Spices for Mulling Wine
- 3 whole allspice berries
- 2 whole star anise
- 1/2 inch piece fresh ginger, sliced
- 3 large strips orange zest
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 4 whole cloves
- Pour wine into a large saucepan. Stir in optional spices if desired. Bring to a boil, then simmer for 15 minutes. Turn heat down to low and keep warm.
- Combine milk and chocolate in a large saucepan over medium heat, whisking constantly until the chocolate is melted and fully mixed into the milk.
- Pour wine into milk - if mulling spices were used, strain the wine first. Stir to combine wine and hot chocolate before ladling into mugs.
- Top with marshmallows or whipped cream and enjoy!